Thursday, November 12, 2009

Interconnected

I haven't yet been able to decipher Knud Endresen's death record.  My language instructor took a look at the record and suggested one of the words I've been trying to work out might be "selig" (holy, consecrated).  I agree it looks like it could be selig, but until she suggested it referred to his religious state, I hadn't thought the word made sense in the context of the record.  However, if it is referring to where in the cemetery Knud was buried, consecrated could fit.  The number that follows "selig" may indicate a burial plot rather than a prisoner number.  So, I've been looking for information about the cemetery and burial practices of the slaveri.  I've also continued to try to determine his cause of death.  I found some useful websites (see links) with cause of death terminology in several languages.  However, I still have not found a match for Knud's cause of death.  I'm leaning toward pneumonia since the word begins with "bryst" or breast/chest.  The second half of the word may be "losing" (loosening?) which doesn't quite make sense, but may if there are other translations that I haven't yet uncovered.  Eventually, I'm sure I'll be able to find the key to unlock this mystery.

As a break from poring over death records, I spent a little time searching for and filling in allied family on the Starkey family tree.  As I filled in a few more families, I noticed something that caught my interest.  My g-grandparents, Sever and Justine Starkey have a number of family members who are intermarried.  Justine's maiden name was Peterson -- the daughterr of Hans and Karoline Peterson.  I had noticed previously that Justine's sister, Emma, was married to Sever's nephew Sever K. Starkey.  I had not been aware, however, that Justine and Emma's brother, Peter, was married to Sever's niece, Clara Gilbertson, and their brother, Conrad, was married to Clara's sister, Josephine!  That adds up to four marriages between the descendants of Sevat Starkey and the children of Hans Peterson!

Here's how the Starkey's and Peterson's were interconnected through marriage:
1)  Sevat Knudson Stake and Karoline Syversdatter
     2)  Knute Starkey and Bertha Larson
          3)  Sever K. Starkey and Emma Peterson  (daughter of Hans)
     2)  Sever S Starkey and Justine Peterson  (daughter of Hans)
     2)  Christina Starkey and Andrew Gilbertson
          3)  Josephine Gilberston and Conrad H. Peterson  (son of Hans)
          3)  Clara Gilbertson and Peter Peterson  (son of Hans)

1)  E. Hans Peterson and Karoline ??
     2)  Justine Eline Peterson and Sever S Starkey  (son of Sevat)
     2)  Conrad H. Peterson and Josephine Gilbertson  (granddaughter of Sevat)
     2)  Peter Peterson and Clara Gilbertson  (granddaughter of Sevat)
     2)  Emma Peterson and Sever K Starkey  (grandson of Sevat)

No comments:

Post a Comment